Monday 21 October 2013

Kevin Bares All!


Our Bearwood Trades page is getting nicely filled up with local trades people whom you feel rightly deserve a recommendation.

One that caught our eye was Bare Wood Carpentry run by Bearwood carpenter, Kevin Ready. We were able to drag Kevin away from his chisel and wood plane to find out more.

We love the fact that you have called your carpentry business Bare Wood. Where did you get the name from and how did you start your business?
I’m glad you like the name. It’s a fun little play on words and just felt very fitting. I’ve been working in carpentry since I left school sixteen years ago. During that time I worked in many different aspects of the trade from cabinet shops to high end domestic renovations. I also spent a couple of years living and working in Canada building straw bale houses. I set up Bare Wood Carpentry six months ago. We offer a full range of carpentry services from domestic repairs and renovations to bespoke furniture commissions. At the moment I am working on some shaker style built-in wardrobes.


Your work is of a very high quality. What wood do you like working with best and why?

Oak is probably my favourite wood to work with. It has a lovely grain and finishes beautifully. However, it can be a tricky customer and each piece is different just like every tree is different. I have to take my time with it and respect the fact it has taken a long time to grow and that it has been around a lot longer than I have.

How did you get into carpentry? Who inspired you to become a carpenter?

My dad was a carpenter so I grew up watching him work. I used to spend hours in his workshop making little projects. I guess it was inevitable that I would follow in his footsteps. Having a trade has been a great thing for me as it has allowed me to travel around parts of the world working as I went. Someone always wants something fixed.

So where can we see examples of your work ?

I have a facebook page, Bare Wood Carpentry, which has lots of photos of examples of my work. Pop over and have a look. You can also email me (kevreds@hotmail.com) or ring me (07890 949 869) otherwise I can often be found looking in skips. People throw away the most amazing timber that’s just begging to be saved and turned into something beautiful.


What's your connection with Bearwood?

I was brought up in Harborne, but we often came to Bearwood. My dad used to take my brother and I to Bernard’s for a haircut then we’d go down the high street. There used to be a great toy shop that sold cars you could drive, but no amount of nagging got me even close to getting one. When I was nineteen I rented a flat on the high street above Natural World Health Foods. The flat was huge, but freezing in the winter. We used to have to sit in the living room in sleeping bags just to try and stay warm. I have some great memories from those crazy days. I now live in Bearwood with my wife and five month old daughter.

We're sure you've seen many changes in Bearwood since you started living here. What do you think the future holds in store for Bearwood?

I think Bearwood has a very bright future. There is a lot going on and a strong sense of community. People are proud of the area and are working hard to improve things and get things going. I think with the renovation of the house in Lightwoods Park is a positive thing. It will bring people to the area and breathe new life and energy into the high street.

We agree!  Please tell us your Bearwood All-Star.  In other words what,who, or where makes you smile in Bearwood?

There’s lots I like about Bearwood and a lot of great people that make it what it is. I guess my highlights would include Warley Woods, the Silvershine Jazz Club, the Shuffle, the T’ai Chi school (that runs classes in the hut on Wigorn Road) and of course Purnima which does the best curry outside of India.

We're going to have to give Purnima a try.  This is our final question which we like to ask everybody.  What makes Lightwoods Chippy's chips orange?

I’m not sure what weird and wonderful concoction they use, but I do know they are famous. Frank Skinner mentions them in his autobiography and someone once asked me about them when I was in New Zealand so the word is out.

No comments:

Post a Comment